Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Summertime...


I love this time of year. The first flush of roses might have faded but the hanging baskets (after a dodgy start with so much rain) and pots are looking fabulous.

I've planted a ton of seeds and I'll be moving them from the trays and into pots to grow on so that I can plant them out in the autumn.

Stocks for the scent, violas because I just love those pansy faces, stately foxgloves - cream splashed with dark red - and the slightly mad canterbury bells.

All old-fashioned flowers that make the heart sing.

Early this spring I found a couple of packets of nasturtium seeds and they are adding a splash of colour everywhere. Climbing up amongst the everlasting sweetpeas and tomatoes in the border and in the pots on the patio.

And I can't believe how long the honeysuckle has flowered this year. The orange thug is long over - and trying to take over the world - but the more natural ones are still throwing out blooms.

I've also got a pot that earlier was full of tulips and daffodils but now they've died back and I've got a load of self-set foxgloves from last year coming up thick and fast.

I'll be transplanting those into the border and holding my breath next spring because with self-set you never know what you're going to get!


I also have to take some cuttings of sedum for the dd's garden.

She has a lovely recipe for lavender lotion bars on her blog this week by the way - perfect for gardener's hands!

What's happening in your garden right now?




No comments: